Saturday, October 17, 2015

My Career as a Pharmacy Tech

I spent eight horrible months as a pharmacy technician in a small-town outlet.  When I finally saw the handwriting on the wall, my main thought was, Why didn't I cut my losses sooner??  I should have been gone in four months, not eight.  I was introduced to a world I hardly knew existed.  I learned that a large percentage of the population lives from prescription to prescription.  Pain-killers are a very great portion of all scripts, and the people who are addicted to them (read: ALL OF THEM except a few post-op patients) are frantic if they don't get them.  The abuse is so widespread that we had a standing rule to double-count pain meds.  This got to be very tedious when the script called for 240 tabs (30 days x 8 tabs/day).  I'm in my sixties and on NO meds (a rarity, I'm told).  There were patients in there who were younger than me on as many as sixteen meds!  No, they didn't look healthy.  If YOU were on 16 prescriptions, do you think you'd look healthy?  My boss (pharmacist) was a walking stress test.  I can't believe he had been living like that for his forty-year career.  Like I said, at the eight-month point, it was time to GO...  I've never looked back and never regretted that decision.

No comments: