Saturday, October 10, 2015

Re: Isaac and Ishmael

 This was my comment on John Little's excellent article, The Heart of Darkness on Omegashock.com:


Great, great article and analysis! Such good material on so many fronts I can’t enumerate them all without fear of leaving someone out. :-)
But I would like to add my second to your take on Islam. My wife and I spent several years overseas in Islamic countries and I can testify you’re spot on.
At one time I was thinking about the surface similarity between Islam and Judaism. There are so many parallels, e.g., fasting, almsgiving, food purity (halal=kosher), animal sacrifice to name a few. I remember thinking, There are so many similarities–why didn’t they just become Jews? Then a light went on...Ishmael would rather eat dog doodoo than join forces with his hated half-brother Isaac! So he concocted this religion, this counterfeit Judaism, both to establish his own brand and to get back into the good graces of his father Abraham, which he’s been trying to do for the last four thousand years. Remember, he was the firstborn, the heir, and was disenfranchised by his father in favor of his younger brother. You, having lived in the Middle East for as long as you have, understand that in these societies there is NOTHING that trumps inheritance. It’s all-important. Ishmael has been smarting over this all these centuries, and the enmity will never go away outside of Christ.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! :-) Blessings to you.

No comments: